Thursday, January 10, 2008

Smoothies: The Secret to a Healthy and Glamorous New Year

Kathryn, I must confess that I've had a hard time keeping my new resolutions.  It's pathetic that I've reigned in the New Year for only 11 days, and I have yet to transform myself into a healthy and glamorous Allison.  However, I found this clip from Brenda Dickinson, a daytime television sensation from the 80s, and in it she reveals her time honored secrets to how she looks fabulous.  So, slap on your spandex, tease your hair, slurp your protein shake, and check it.  

Wow,  if only I had her clothes.  While I dig Brenda's style and admire her commitment to a rabbit diet and militant exercise regime, I find her smoothie preparation quite objectionable.   A banana, juice, and some protein powder do not a satisfying smoothie make.  I have included this updated version, complete with all natural ingredients, fruit, and above all, protein - yum.

Rock Your Way Into a Leotard Smoothie,
Ingredients:
  • 1 pear, peeled and diced
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 tbsp yogurt
  • 2 tbsp pear butter
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
Blend. Enjoy.  


Did you notice the pear butter from the Borough Market, our foodie Oasis in London?  I only wish I had smuggled more back to Iowa.  

Best of all with this recipe, I got to use the trusty immersion blender.  It makes me feel powerful, and even dare I say, quite chic.  Heck, I think I am finally about to embark on a glamorous new year.  

Grinnell in 10 days. Wow...  I'm excited to see you, but I must admit that I am a little nervous that school is about to start.  Enjoy the rest of your break!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

OMG pear butter! I'm so jealous that you have supplied left over from the borough market.

Also, Brenda quote:
"Women often ask me, "how do you kiss such-and-such a person in a scene, and have your lipstick look exactly the same?" The secret is lip sealer!"

No, Brenda, I think your secret is that YOU'RE A ROBOT!

p.s. I'm totally bringing my immersion blender to school.