Saturday, April 5, 2008

Some day, my spring will come

Hey Kathryn,

I don't know when this winter will end! This Thursday, it snowed in Grinnell, and it was not a smattering, but a full two inches, which came down during my Museum Studies Class. No siree, I am not ready to get rid of my winter coat, my boots, my down comforter, or my supply of canned food.

So when this nasty weather hit, my first instinct was to make a soup - I know, how cliché. But this soup is really easy to make, makes use of common pantry items, and tastes just like this Tuscan Tomato Soup that is served at one of the best soup places in Iowa City called the Bread Garden. I swear, you will never need to eat another can of Campbell's tomato soup after eating this, well, unless you are having an Andy Warhol party.

Mmm Mmmm Better Tomato Soup
Adapted from Deborah Madison's Creamy Tomato Soup

Ingredients:
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
4 cloves of garlic chopped in half
1/4 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth
3/4 - 1 cup milk
Buttermilk

Sauté the butter, chopped onions, garlic in a pot on medium heat until onions are soft and fragrant (about 3-5 minutes). Add the basil and salt and pepper to taste, and then add in the flour. Stir the mixture around, and watch for the flour to toast up and turn brown. Slowly add in the vegetable broth and tomatoes, and cook until just about ready to serve. Blend the soup with an immersion blender, and pour in the milk off the heat. Pour into bowls and finish with a dash of buttermilk or if you prefer sour cream.



Look - the buttermilk makes cool tadpoles in the soup.

So, stay warm Kathryn, and maybe, just maybe, spring will arrive!

Love,
Allison




No comments: